Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A Love Story

We were becoming more and more involved. We were nearly inseparable, beginning to plan our future as though we'd be together inside the same picture frame. But we got on each other's nerves too. Surely jealousy and selfishness weren't supposed to be this big of a problem in a relationship, I reasoned. Trust issues became an undertow, a weight in a relationship already sagging under too much strain.

Even in the painful aloneness of that ending, I was amazed at how the Lord began to step into my life; more real and more exciting than I had ever imagined. In some strange way, He seemed enough. He was grounding me - as an individual.

When you buy into the myth that you are no one until there's someone is in your life who loves you - you can end up holding onto a relationship far too long. Or compromising convictions you hold dear. Or overlooking character flaws in another person that are obvious red lights on the dashboard of his or her life. All in the futile effort to avoid being alone, alone with yourself and with God.

We can't deny that love is a wonderful thing. It can make you smile through the pouring rain. But it is not life, Jesus is.

I am glad I finally found the courage to be alone, with myself and with God.


- Extracted from a book

No comments:

Post a Comment