Thursday, May 15, 2014

New Horizon

I started this entry on 12th April 2014. I woke up at about 5.21am feeling extremely nervous as to what was to come. I sat in bed and thought about it for a long time. I wanted to skip the interview and just go back to bed. But I told myself that this is something I wanted and this is something that I have set my mind to do. So just take the first step. And I literally took the first step by getting out of my bed. While preparing, I exchanged conversations with my parents who were preparing to go to work. The faces of those whom I cared about flashes across my mind. Suddenly I don't know if this was what I wanted anymore. I don't know if I was ready to let go of everything. I don't know if I am going to regret this. And I left home feeling like I was gonna explode - nerves and uncertainty, really felt like dying until the lyrics of cornerstone calmed me down.

"My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly trust in Jesus name "

I was reminded not only about the interview, but about my life, about people, about relationships, about my future. And with this heart, I stepped out of the cab and went past the glass door. Time check: 8.20am. There was only a handful of people but they calmed me down instantly. They were all really nice and I wished we exchanged contacts. As more and more people streamed in, I started feeling nervous again, unsure about myself, blah blah blah. 

We were told to line up in a line at 9am sharp. With our resume, full length photo and passport photo. One by one we stepped inside to do a reach test. Passed, I was told to sit in the conference room. The facilitators came and numbered us into a group of 15 people. Shortly after we were brought into a room. The interviewer posted us a question and we have 5 minutes to discuss as a group. All I said was I agree with you and stated a short reason why. We were then told to wait outside the room. About an eternity away, She came out and my name was the 2nd to be called. She handled me the application form and at that moment everything felt so surreal. From the reach test to the group interview it was only about 30mins yet I was so nervous since 5am. The moment the letter of invitation was handled to me, everything was suddenly worth it. I was told to come back at 4pm for a briefing. And so I traveled home with my new friend who got through the first round too.



The briefing was regarding life in Dubai, about our pay, accommodation, the next interview, etc. Although, there was still assessment day, final interview and medical check. At that moment, it didn't matter. I was proud of myself for taking this step of faith. Proud of myself for giving this a shot. I never truly pursued what I wanted in life. I was always battling with fear, doubts, uncertainty, etc.  I was always giving myself excuses. I was always comfortable with where I am. But not this time. Whatever the result, I will trust in Him and just be glad that at least I tried :)

---

After a long 2 weeks wait, the 2nd round of interview is finally here. The wait was a nerve wrecking one. Honestly, it was quite emotionally and mentally draining too. Like waiting for O level result, like waiting for posting - that kind of feeling. But a hundred times more stressful because I never really cared about which school I will be posted to, results never bothered me too. But not this. I wanted this.

I was 30mins early but they started 1 hour late. There were a told of 3 rounds and the results came in the form of a letter after each round. And here's mine:


I read it at least 3 times just to make sure I wasn't too nervous and misunderstood it. I even asked around to make sure that I did not misread what was written too. This part was also the hardest because you start seeing people leaving. I felt like I was in some Singapore Next Top Model show, hugging people who got in and feeling sad for people who did not. At that moment, everyone felt really close which made goodbye slightly harder.

I was in the first group for every rounds. And having to wait for your results was probably the most draining part of the whole interview. Because there were too many people that got into the Final round of interview, there wasn't enough slots. I was told that I had to wait till September for my Final Interview and in my head was like... What? I have to wait again?! But thankfully, that didn't happened and my Final Interview was scheduled on the 4th of May. Unlike the rest, I have another week to prepare which was really needed. I had to go for formal photo shoot, redo my cv, fill up my application form, etc. Really thankful for having ample time - time to prepare and time to rest.

By now, I am no longer nervous or stressed anymore. I have learnt to let it go, let it be. Honestly, I really wanted it. But I will trust God regardless of the results.

---

I googled all the possible questions that would be asked on the final round of interview. I wrote all my work experiences in a book, practiced it in front of the mirror and questioned myself: Why am I doing this? I don't normally put in so much effort into anything because I am afraid of disappointment. I am usually very half-hearted about things just so I have an excuse when I fail. But not this time. I didn't allow myself to have any excuses. I couldn't afford it anyways.

Anyhow, the one to one interview was so silent. There were a few questions that caught me off guard otherwise it did turned out as planned. I didn't talk as much as how I practiced it. I only said a few sentences to each questions and there were so many long pauses. And during each pause I was getting more and more unsure about how I did. Was I okay? Is this normal? etc etc. I texted some of the other candidates and one of them told me that I should be fine. The content don't matter as much as how I carried myself. How I carried myself.. mmm. I wasn't on my best form that day thanks to some hormonal changes that women experience every month. I was pretty mood-less the whole time. But well, it ended and I am not someone who cries over split milk.

---

So the entire interview process ended. I am feeling rather hopeful and positive about it despite thinking that I didn't do as well as I wanted for the Final Round of Interview. Maybe because so many people were so positive and encouraging about me getting the job that contributed to my confidence. But I think majority came from Him and Him alone. How He saw me through each stage, being my support emotionally, mentally and even financially. I am not even kidding. The day I needed to pay for the formal photoshoot, I received money for it. That day I was almost late for my final interview and there was a long queue at the taxi stand. I really didn't want to pay extra for calling a cab, and just when I was trying to book a taxi, a taxi that was heading to Tampines stopped right in front of me. And I was the only person that was heading towards Changi so I managed to cut the queue of all that was ahead of me! And if I didn't board that cab, I would have been late!

More and more I am convinced that results isn't important. I am happy to went on this journey because this journey taught me to trust in Him even more. I don't even know how to put my whole experience into words. But I guess if you know me, you would have known how significant this was to me, how much courage I gathered to take this step, how dependent on Him I have gotten, how this short yet seemingly long journey changed my perspective and well, my life. This isn't just a job. And I didn't sign myself up for it because of the glamour or the money. Well, of course they played a part but there was honestly more to it than what it is. Anyhow, whatever the outcome, I will be thankful. Because the journey mattered to me more.

---

15 May 2014, 5pm. I ended my E-Biz paper an hour earlier and was just thinking about how I did, thinking that I should be able to pass my paper. Somehow my thoughts ran to Emirates again. I kinda concluded that the results should be coming next week not this week so I should just stop thinking about it. And just then, I got a call. IT WAS THEM!! Her sweet voice congratulated me for being accepted. OMG! can you believe how i felt at that moment? I wished I recorded the whole conversation just so I can hear it again to make sure I was not living in some kind of delusion which I am really good at creating. I phoned my mum immediately and started telling most of my friends who has been on this journey with. I am truly blessed to have really really awesome friends around me. The majority of people were truly happy for me. Of course sad because I will be leaving Singapore for 3 years and that's just understandable. I am still feeling surreal thou. Unable to get over what just happened. But I am really more thankful than anything. It is a mark of something new, a new journey with God. I know I would not have made it without Him. I am so thankful for this opportunity of a lifetime! I know the journey ahead is tough but I have great faith in Him.

and if you must know, I applied to Emirates for cabin crew position. I will be officially leaving to Dubai on the 20th June 2014. (A lot faster than I thot!!! which is really scary >.<)

---


So my dear friends, whenever you think of me, say a little prayer for me and trust in Him.




X,
Faith 

No comments:

Post a Comment